Homemade Granola Bars

My son Jack is allergic to all nuts and eggs. This really limits what snack foods he can eat. For some reason he is always inquiring about my Fiber one bars, hoping that it magically will not have nuts in it if he askes 100 times. He knows he can't have it but he always longingly looks at me with these big sad eyes when sees me eat one. Ethan loves granola bars too, but I rarely buy them for him since Jack can't eat them.
I thought it would fun to make homemade granola bars with no allergies for Jack's preschool class since it was our turn to bring snack. My sister in law Sarah makes a great allergy free granola bar but I do not have her recipe yet, so I searched the internet for one instead. I am really pleased with how these came out! I love the sweetness of the honey and gooey mini chocolate chips. And the ingredients are all things I normally have in the house so I will definately be making these again.
Chewy Granola Bars

2 1/2 c. Old Fashioned or Quick Oats
1/2 c. Rice Krispy Cereal
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. coconut
1/4 c. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together. Stir until well combined. I used my hands to get it thoroughly mixed. Press into a 9x13 pan. (For thicker bars use a 8x8 pan.) Using the bottom of a flat metal measuring cup, gently press down to flatten and evenly smooth out the mixture. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and score into bars. Once completely cool cut into bars.
I cut mine into four rows of five since they will be served to little hands, but if you want to make these regular granola bar size you can cut them into three rows of five. Make sense?

For variety try adding:
Raisins
Marshmallows
Mini M&Ms
Dried fruit

recipe from Amy at Serving Pink Lemonade

Comments

  1. Oh, these look good! Recipe is a little different but same idea. I got it from allrecipes.com. I just saw your e-mail today. sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm going to try these today, except i don't have rice krispies. i may just put some cheerio's in as a substitute. thanks!! you always have great recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts