Baby Burp Cloths

Finally, I have time to write a new post! It has been a busy couple of weeks and I haven't had a chance to share my latest projects and recipes until now. Adam and I were able to get a couple nights away with out the boys thanks to wonderful grandparents. I have been working 8 extra hours a week and Adam has been sick with that cold that is going around for the last week. But the kids are in bed and I am taking a break from making my grocery list and meal planning for the week to share with you my latest sewing project - baby burp cloths. They are very easy to sew together, the hardest part was cutting the pieces perfectly straight after I prewashed the fabric since it lost its shape during the washing/drying. I think it is important to prewash fabric though for projects like these burp clothes. I used Amy Butler fabric (gorgeous!) on one side and white chenille fabric for the other side. The chenille got super soft after I prewashed it, but beware, it sheds everywhere! I got the idea to make these from Shelley at How Does She?. I have a few more baby gifts to make this month so I will be making more of these for sure.
First you will need two pieces of fabric the same size. These were 9 by 14 inches.
Pin the right sides together.
Make sure you mark a 2-3 inch spot to leave unsewn for the opening.
Pull the fabric through the opening so the rights sides of the fabric are showing and press. Fold the ends of the opening in, press, and close with a blind stitch. The chenille fabric is thick and will help to hide your stitches if you are not very good at the blind stitch like me.
Here are the four I made all finished. Press them again once you close the opening to help give them a finished look.
These fabrics are from Amy Butler's Midwest Modern II line. I really love that these are sophisticated and modern and not baby cutesy.
I rolled the burp cloths and tied a ribbon around with a tag (made with scrapbooking paper, scalloped circle cutter, letter stickers and a hole punch).
I decided to spell out the baby's name since it was four letters and I had four burp cloths. You could also spell BABY too, or leave off the tag and just roll and tie with a pretty ribbon.
They look nice in a little basket and really are the perfect baby gift!
I paired these with a package of diapers (notice the wrapping around the diapers, same concept used here for wrapping bread for gifts). This was a fun, easy and affordable gift to make.

Comments

  1. great idea! i never thought of actually MAKING burp cloths...i usually just sew on a piece of fabric to a cloth diaper. great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! These are gorgeous!!! We just started a Flickr Group (and honestly aren't quick sure how to use it ourselves) but we'd love to have you add this there! :) Thanks for letting us know you gave it a try. ---Oh,...cutting in straight lines,...just snip the edge of the fabric with scissors and RIP it the rest of the way. It makes a perfectly straight line and eliminates the cutting time! :) Does that make sense? Hope that helps! :) Thanks again for showing and linking back to us! :) -Shelley {HowDoesShe.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super, super cute. I've done the fabric on a cloth diaper for a burp cloth. Do you have a mat & rotary cutter? From Jan? That would make straight lines.

    These look fantastic and the fabric is so cute. The presentation is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Andrea! Great colors great fabric!! Lucky mom-to-be that gets these!!!
    I have a hint for you and everyone that washes fabric before you/they sew. On your sewing machine, sew a running stitch across the raw edges of both ends of the fabric before washing. (42-44" raw side). This will eliminate a lot (but not all) of the knotting and fraying of the edges during the wash and dry cycle.
    Although it might sound like a great and fast idea Shelley, you should never rip fabric. When fabric is ripped, it can warp the edges and change the shape of it. Also, some fabric is not even and when you rip it, you can actually ruin it. It is always best to use a rotary cutter, quilters ruler, and a cutting board. It is precise, and cutting can be fast.
    Tips from someone who has been sewing for 50 years!!!... and has learned the hard way sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback. I used my rotary cutter/mat to cut them, but the fabric was very warped and frayed from the washing/drying. So it took me a while just to make the fabric straight again before I cut down to size. Jan I will try the running stitch next time for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are so cute, i want to make some. even though i'm pretty sure all my friends are done makin' babies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these!!!! I need to learn to use a sewing machine. My 2011 New Year's Resolution!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts