Crispy Baked Zucchini Sticks

I know, I know, another zucchini recipe. Well, I have it coming out of my ears so I am trying to find creative ways to use it up. This recipe is a healthy alternative to the pan fried zucchini sticks, and it tastes great. My mom made these one night when I was over for dinner, and I almost didn't believe her when she said they were baked, because they had that fried crispy outside. All pictures in this post were taken by Travis.Cut your zucchini into sticks, about three inches long, and no more than 1/2 inch thick. You can also cut them into rounds if you prefer. The key to making these delish is in the three step coating process. This is how my mom taught me to make Italian style chicken cutlets, fried chicken wings, or just about anything you want to bread and bake (or fry). To start you will need three shallow bowls. In bowl one put a handful (about 1/2 cup) of all purpose flour and season generously with salt and pepper. In bowl two beat two eggs with 1/4 cup of milk.Season with salt and pepper.
In bowl three put at least a cup of your favorite bread crumbs or coating (I used panko bread crumbs here for an extra crispy finish, and because it was all I had for bread crumbs). If your bread crumbs are plain (if you are using Italian style bread crumbs you can skip this part) season them well with you favorite dried herbs and garlic salt.

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and have a baking sheet ready that had been sprayed well with nonstick cooking spray.

Now the fun part.
Coat your zucchini sticks with the flour and shake off the excess flour. Dip into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs, making sure all sides are well coated with crumbs. Place on baking sheet and continue the process until all the zucchini sticks are breaded.
Drizzle a little olive oil over tops of breaded zucchini to ensure the crispy outside. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning once halfway through, and until browned and crispy. Sprinkle with salt and enjoy!

Comments

  1. did you know you made it on here: !! how exciting!

    http://www.oneprettything.com/?p=11124

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I was pretty pumped about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I am going to try these soon. So far all my kids will eat with zucchini are the chocolate zucchini muffins I make and I'm looking for another way they'll try it! My recipe is really yummy if you need some more ways to use up extra zucchini: http://www.myfamilylovesit.com/blog/index.php/2008/09/04/yummy-chocolate-zucchini-muffins/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts