Chimichurri Sauce

There is a local restaurant that serves this delicious green sauce with bread, and the first time I had it, I couldn't get enough it. It was tangy and garlicky and a great complement to the seared fish I had for dinner. I asked the waitress what it was, and she told me it was called chimichurri sauce. I had heard it before, but didn't know what it was or what was in it. So I did some research online and tried to re-create the same taste and flavors I had there. It is traditionally an Argentinian sauce that is served over chicken or beef and has become more popular in American cooking.

Here is the recipe I came up with and served it over steak. My son Jack loved it because it was green and my husband loved it because of the bold flavors. It is a great way to bring a typical meal to a new level. And it was great to use freshly grown parsley from my herb garden!

Chimichurri Sauce

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup of rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1-2 cloves of fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon of cumin
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
In a food processor, or blender, chop the garlic. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth, about two minutes. Add a generous pinch of coarse salt and then freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Serve with bread or spooned over chicken or steak.
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts