Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup

I really love when I find a great "make your own" recipe. I very rarely buy condensed cream of chicken soup, because I like to cook from scratch when I can. But I do have a couple great tried and true recipes (chicken divan!) that call for condensed cream of chicken soup. Instead of buying it, I figured there had to be a way to make your own. One of my favorite food sites, Tammy's Recipes, has a recipe for making your condensed cream of chicken soup, so I gave it a try. It was perfect in our dinner casserole, Chicken Asparagus Pasta Bake (another post, coming soon). This recipe makes two cans worth, so I used one for dinner and froze the remaining for another meal.

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
recipe from Tammy's Recipes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup flour

Directions: In medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for two minutes.
In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add the flour/milk to the boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly, until mixture boils and thickens.
This took about 2-3 minutes for it to get thick enough to coat the whisk. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly. It will continue to thicken as it sits.
Divide into two scant 1 1/2 cup portions (as it makes 2 cans worth) and use immediately, or freeze in airtight containers.

The true test for this homemade condensed cream of chicken soup is how it holds up in a recipe. It was a winner for my Chicken Asparagus Pasta Bake. Stay tuned for that delicious recipe, coming up next!

Comments

  1. Awesome, will definetly try that. I had progresso italian wedding soup today because i was too sick for anything else and I was thinking I have to make some and freeze in individual size containers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love Tammy? I've made this one other time and it worked great. I like the idea of making it ahead of time and freezing it, because it can be a little time consuming when you're in the dinnertime crunch. Good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bookmarked one from food network so that casseroles and whatever can be more "clean" from the base. I didn't think to check if it was condensed or not. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts