Italian Sandwiches

Italian sandwiches are a special treat in our house because of all the rich Italian cold cuts we use - prosciutto, cappicola, salami and provolone cheese. To finish the sandwich off I add a scoop of homemade muffaletta and a drizzle of red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. These Italian sandwiches are loved by all the men in my life (my husband, my brother and my dad). They say the best way to a man's heart is food, and let me tell you, prosciutto will never fail you. I seriously have to hide it in the fridge when I buy it because my husband loves it that much. The sandwiches pictures though were for a ladies' function at our church (did I tell you that women love these too?). I made them a little more "dainty" by making them half the size that I normally do. I found these great little ciabatta rolls, perfect for holding up all the heartiness inside. These are great to serve at a party!Italian Sandwiches
makes 12 small or 6 large sandwiches (I doubled this recipe for my function)

Ingredients:
Ciabatta rolls (12 mini or 6 large)
2/3 lb prosciutto, sliced thin - you can buy domestic as it is much cheaper, but if you can afford it buy the imported prosciutto de parma
1/2 lb hot or sweet cappicola (ask to taste both the sweet and the hot and decide which you like best)
1/2 lb Genoa salami
1/2 lb provolone cheese
1/2 cup large black olives
1/2 cup large Spanish green olives (with pimentos)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive olive
1/4 red wine vinegar
salt, pepper

Directions: Slice an opening in your rolls, but don't go all the way through.


Set up your cold cuts on a large work surface.

If you are making smaller sandwiches, slice your prosciutto in halves and the cappicola, salami and provolone into quarters. If you are making regular sized sandwiches you can leave everything large, or slice in half.

Make a little stack of cold cuts, layering them starting with the cappicola on the bottom, then the salami, provolone and the prosciutto on top. Make the size of your stack about the size of your roll.
Place the stack inside the roll.
Continue with remaining ingredients. I like to do this "assembly" style when I have a lot to make. It goes much faster.
I had to guard these with my life when I was making them. I promised my husband (and my dad) they could each have one or two when I was done.

Now make your muffaletta. We used to have this on our sandwiches often when we lived in Florida. So this is my "southern" influences showing through here. Trust me, even if you don't love olives, you will like this on your sandwich. You don't really taste the olives, but the saltiness and the flavor they add is incredible.

Slice the olives together until they are very small and well combined.

Add a spoonful of the olive muffaletta to each sandwich, placing it above the prosciutto on top.

Hmmmmmm. Yum.

In a jar, or a bowl, mix the olive oil and the red wine vinegar together well. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
Drizzle a teaspoon of the olive oil/vinegar mixture over each sandwich.

Okay, honey. These two sandwiches are for you.
But the rest of these are coming with me.


The ladies are church loved them too. Give these Italian sandwiches a try, you won't be disappointed. Don't forget to hide the prosciutto in the fridge!

Comments

  1. Ummm, yum. I'm pretty sure that's what I say every time I comment on your blog. I wish you went to my church and would bring these sandwiches to me.

    We are going camping next week. Maybe I will surprise my husband with these sandwiches. That would be yummy camping food yes? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kira, yes, these would be great camping good. If you make these ahead of time, do not add the muffaletta or the oil/vinegar until you about to serve. It will make the sandwiches soggy if you add it too far in advance.
    have fun camping! I bet your husband would love them, most men do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the comments on my blog, Andrea! These look delicious and super easy for the home cook! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts